Gail E. Thomas
Gail is a practicing artist, living in British Columbia, Canada. Her artwork is in collections throughout Canada, the United States, England, Wales and Australia.
- Art Collage in the seventy’s, where she majored in fabric design and weaving, led her to fabric and paint to design her original quilts.
Gail began painting fifty-six years ago. She has been sewing for fifty-one years, teaching for thirty-four years, and quilting for sixteen years. Gail has a great passion for working with fabric and sharing her knowledge. We know that you will be thrilled in her classes, as she shows you her methods to make unique art quilts.
Gail’s Art is in private and corporate collections Canada, The United States, England, Wales, and Australia.
Here's a brief look at some of her memorable quilts and honors:
- 2014 The Four Founders Art Quilt has been placed by Karey Patterson Bresenhan and Nancy O’Bryant Puentes into the Texas Quilt Museum, La Grange, TX
- 2013 It’s A Crazy Life won Third in Art Painted Surface Category from IQA in Houston
- 2013 The National Quilting Assoication Quilt Show in Columbus Ohio June 2013 “It’s a Crazy Life” won Honorable Mention in the Pictoral Category
- 2012 Someone Found quilt won HM, NQA Quilt Show, Columbus Ohio
- 2010 The Three Sisters quilt Seasonal Sisters won First in Group Category, Canberra Quilter’s Inc. Australia
- 2010 Grandmother’s Legacy won Third in Art People, Road to California Quilt Show
- 2010 The Three Sisters quilt Seasonal Sisters won Best in Show, Road to California Quilt Show
- 2009 The Three Sisters quilt won First in Group Category, Denver Colorado
- 2009 Seasonal Sisters quilt won First in Group Category and Viewer’s Choice Award, Quilt Odyssey, Pennsylvania
- 2009 First Place in the Pictorial Category – NQA 40th Quilt Show – Columbus, Ohio
- 2008 Seasonal Sisters quilt won The World Of Beauty Award, IQA Fall The World of Beauty Quilt Show, Houston, TX.
- 2008 The Three Sisters quilt won First in Group Category – APWQ Quilt Show – Seattle, WA.
- 2007 The Three Sisters quilt won first in Group Category, The World of Beauty IQA Fall Quilt Show, Houston, TX.
“From paper to fabric – not a difficult transition, and an enjoyable one at that. A healthy addiction.
I am blessed to be able to transfer all the skills that I have acquired throughout many years of working with watercolours, onto fabric and achieve similar results on textiles.”
Art Quilts to me are an art expression of freedom.
~ Gail Thomas, Artist
Kathy Dunigan says, " I stood before a quilt of Gail's at IQA Houston, with my daughter, Madison, (an artist herself) and knew that I had to get Gail down to Texas! Wonderful quilt artist!"
Gail invites you to view over 50 years of her love of colour expressed on paper, canvas and fabric.